The Fort Worth Star was founded in 1906 and merged with the Fort Worth Telegram in 1909 to become the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The newspaper bears a rich and colorful legacy tied to the Old West. Its founding publisher, Amon G. Carter Sr., was a renowned booster of Fort Worth and West Texas. In fact, the newspaper was known by a phrase that still resides on its masthead: “Where the West Begins.”

Under Carter’s leadership, the paper served 84 counties in Texas, some by stagecoach. In 1922, the paper began the first Fort Worth radio station, WBAP, “We Bring a Program.” The Star-Telegram also established the first television station in the southern half of the United States in 1948.

In current issue:

Discussion